With the festive holidays only a few weeks away, do you have Christmas storage plans in place? For businesses, this means finding suitable storage space for all the decorations, outfits and extra stock and for households, it’s all about hiding Christmas presents and organising your home for guests.
Considering that Christmas involves spending time with family and friends cooking up a storm, you also need to organise your kitchen. This part of Christmas storage is particularly important as you need to find a safe place for the crockery, cutlery and dishes without having to unpack cupboards every year.
Christmas Storage And Home Organising Tips
Before we head over to the kitchen, let’s talk about how to organise your home for guests. If you have a big family or friends staying with you over the Christmas period, your home needs to be clutter-free and well-organised.
A great place to start is to look at your house from a young child or an elderly person’s perspective. By checking for tripping hazards like toys, bags, trailing wires or cables, this will help avoid worrying too much about breakages or accidents. If you have any valuable collectables or antiques, we recommend putting it on a higher shelf or in a lockable cabinet.
Preparing The Guestroom For Christmas Visitors
Preparing the guest room can be rather challenging especially if it’s used during the year as a storage den. Many of us end up putting things in the spare room that really just adds to the clutter including old furniture, bags, clothes, boxes and toys.
Everything that doesn’t belong needs a new storage place to make room for your guests. If you don’t have space for all the extra stuff at home, in the garage or shed, the simplest and most affordable solution is renting a temporary self storage unit.
6 Quick-Fire Christmas Storage And Organising Tips For The Guestroom
To help get your Christmas storage off to a good start, here are a few simple tips for preparing the guestroom for visitors:
- Make sure there’s enough room for their suitcases. A great idea instead of floor space or using a desk is to get a folding rack or a multi-purpose bench
- Clear the cupboards and give your guests sufficient hanging space so they don’t have to live out of their suitcases
- Put a clock and toiletry basket in the room with all the essentials
- Make them feel at home by displaying fresh towels on the bed or the towel rack
- If you are using a fold-out bed, make sure it still works properly and that it’s comfortable
- Don’t forget to add a small bedside lamp if you only have a ceiling light. This makes bedtime reading much easier and help guests find their way to the bathroom
- Considering the cold weather, give them an extra blanket or a warm throw
How To Organise Your Kitchen For Christmas
For many of us, Christmas means loads of cooking and spending more time in the kitchen. The first thing you need to do is organise your kitchen properly so you don’t have to go through cupboards and drawers to find the old roasting dish, pan or carving knife.
While many items are only used at Christmas, storing them neatly from the onset will help keep things organised. Avoid packing everything on top of a cupboard or in a different room as it just makes things harder to find. The best solution is to find a dedicated spot for all your Christmas utensils and dishes.
6 Christmas Storage Tips For An Organised Kitchen
While we all put goals in place to rearrange the kitchen, the reality is that we tend to forget about it soon after Christmas. If you are not going to re-organise everything, at least follow these simple tips and see how it helps you during the festive season.
- Pack your most-used utensils and equipment in an easily accessible place
- Use drawer dividers and trays to neatly organise cutlery and utensils
- Keep heavy cooking pots close to the cooker and fill them with smaller pots and pans to save space
- Use wall hanging rails, wire shelves or door mounted baskets to clear even more clutter from your kitchen
- Store your carrier bags in one spot by either using a storage container or put them into one bag. Hang it behind the door or inside a cupboard to keep it out of sight but easy-to-reach
- Utilise awkward spaces and corner cupboards by using slide-out racks on runners and carousel inserts
Recommended: ‘Organising Your Kitchen At Christmas’
Christmas Storage Ideas For Presents
If you have little ones, you know exactly what Christmas means as they will stop at nothing to find their Christmas presents for a sneak peek. Below are a few Christmas storage ideas for presents of all shapes and sizes:
- Use lockable cupboards, drawers or suitcases
- Pack gifts high and far back on the shelves and under your clothes or linen
- Use the spare room or your home office if you can lock it
- Put gifts in a random box in the garage that looks exactly like all the other boxes
- Store smaller gifts in a toolbox under the workbench
- Hide gifts by mislabelling storage boxes or bins. You can write almost anything on there like “Text Books”, “Tax Documents” or “Miscellaneous”
Related article: ‘Where To Hide Your Christmas Gifts This Holiday Season’
More Ideas On Hiding Christmas Presents
We recommend a very simple but effective plan and that is hiding presents in a different location every year. If you used your bedroom cupboard last year, change it up and hide the presents in the attic or a kitchen drawer this year.
Some people also use their cars as a temporary storage spot but this is only really applicable to smaller items. Also, what’s stopping your loved ones from taking the keys and looking under the seats, cubbyhole or boot?
Recommended: ‘Wrapping And Storing Odd-Shaped Christmas Presents’
What You Need To Know When Renting A Self Storage Unit
Firstly, there is storage insurance and it’s important to find out if it is provided as a standard option or not. At Space Centre Self Storage, we provide FREE insurance up to £3000 and DO NOT charge an upfront deposit.
In some cases, you may need special item insurance as some goods could require specific cover. Be sure to check the facility’s terms and conditions as not everyone has the same rules. Also, keep your unit in the condition you found it so you can get your deposit back.
Why Choose Space Centre Self Storage?
All of our units are clean, dry and secure with prices guaranteed for 12 months. There is also no deposit, no hidden costs and no commitment to sign long-term contracts. We don’t charge a fee if you need a different unit or when extending your rental period. Our facilities are monitored by 24-hour CCTV while each unit also has a smoke detector.
We are based in Bristol, Stroud and Gloucester where each facility is conveniently located near major access roads. Get in touch with our friendly, experienced staff for more information and to reserve your storage unit today!