The internet and digital connectivity make it so much easier for people to start up and run a business from home. In recent years, the remote workforce concept has grown considerably whether you’re working for someone in the comfort your own home or running your own home business. For some, this is a great solution while others might find the reality of working from home a daunting task.
Aspects such as business storage, financial aid, personal time management all come to mind as things to consider. What else do you need to ensure success? We will take a look at a few pros and cons of working from home and provide some valuable tips to make it work for you.
Advantages Of Working From Home
The first thing you’ll notice is the freedom which extends beyond what you might think. It’s not just the dreaded Monday morning alarm or the 2-hour commute to and from the office. Things like coffee breaks, a quick visit to the grocery store, fetching the kids from school or a personal matter that just can’t wait. All of these are now possible without asking permission or using up your valuable leave. To summarise a few pros, take a look below:
- Spend more quality time with the family.
- Set your own schedule so no more cubicle, robot-like lifestyle clocking in at 9 and watching the seconds tick by till 5.
- Work from anywhere. Home, coffee shop, restaurant or anywhere with a decent WiFi connection
- Better flexibility. Endless coffee breaks and lunch time is not a rushed 30 minutes trying to squeeze in a sarnie on-the-go. You choose when to have your breaks and for how long.
- No uniform or dress code and every day is casual Friday
- Save loads of money on transport and write off a portion of your home expenses on your taxes
- Micromanagement is near non-existent and no-one is looking over your shoulder every 5 minutes
- If you’re a stay-at-home mom or dad, this type of work is ideal
Disadvantages Of Working From Home
A major con of working from home is definitely being overworked. You are the boss of your own domain and how much work you put in directly reflects your salary. Right? Don’t be fooled though, more work isn’t always a good thing and you need to manage your time effectively. Before you know it, family time becomes work time which is a big negative for everyone. Here is our short list of other common disadvantages when working from home.
- Lack of sufficient business storage space
- You could become too comfortable
- Practice self-discipline and be super focused – it’s easy to get distracted by things like social media or video games.
- Spend a few days per week in a co-working space and don’t forget to meet up with friends or former colleagues after your workday.
- Keep exercising. A great idea is to do 10 push-ups and 10 sit-ups every time you make a cup of coffee. And if you have a dog, take them for a walk as often as you can.
- Fewer social interactions and we don’t mean social media. Be sure to stay connected with people by going out for a pint after work or meet up for coffee a few times a week.
In conclusion to cons when working from home; your loved ones will start relying on you more. The fact that you’re mostly at home leads them to believe you have all the time in the world. Set some ground rules and try to be strict about how the family interacts with you during your ‘office hours’.
Consider Document and Business Storage Solutions
We’ve covered the good, the bad and the ugly of working from home but what about the things you need to be successful? If you’re running your own business there is so much to keep in mind including business storage, finding an accountant, financing, staffing, marketing strategy and more. Read this article on things to consider when starting a business. It’s a really helpful source whether you’re an entrepreneur working from home or looking for premises.
Business storage is another interesting topic especially if you have tons of documents. This is particularly important for accountants or financial consultants. Many e-commerce companies are also home-based who really shouldn’t use their house or garage for business storage. Stock can easily get damaged or misplaced, not to mention keeping confidential documents or files in a safe place. Many types of businesses rent a self storage unit and for good reason. Business storage is one of the most important aspects of being organised and choosing the right storage solution for your business is essential.
If you’re planning on making the transition to work from home or starting a business in 2018, we hope we’ve given you some food for thought. If you’re in our area and find yourself in need of extra storage space, please get in touch. We’d be happy to advise you about the size of unit you need and you’re welcome to visit our sites to take a look. Alternatively, why not take our virtual tour?