No matter how hard we try, it seems that at some point in our lives we all have too much stuff and nowhere to store it. Household storage, student belongings, paperwork or business needs mean that the use of temporary self storage is on the increase. We take a look at some of the typical reasons why people are turning to storage solutions outside the home to help solve their problems. Continue reading
Traditionally, downsizing was something that only got considered when retirement was on the horizon. With the children gone and older age creeping up, thoughts would turn to a smaller house and garden that wouldn’t take quite so much work. But that’s no longer the case. There are increasing numbers of reasons why people are thinking about downsizing and in some severe circumstance, have no choice.
Why are people downsizing?
- Financial uncertainty. In the uncertain times of potential interest rate fluctuations people are reviewing their needs to see if they can cut their mortgage payments, or even remove them altogether
- Too much space. The kids have grown up and you’re just rattling around in a big old house.
- Running costs. A smaller property will cost less to heat, light and insure.
- Maintenance and cleaning. A smaller place will take less work, time and money to take care of.
- More free time. Logic says that if you’re spending less time maintaining and cleaning a house and garden, you’ll have more time to do things you want to do, and may even have more money to do them.
There are many reasons people have items of furniture they’re looking to rehome. You could be moving house, getting things out of long term storage, downsizing or simply having a good old clear out. Whatever the reason, the chances are you’ll have some unwanted furniture and need to find a way to dispose of it. How you dispose of it will depend on the state of repair it’s in.
Most things will fall into one of 4 categories Continue reading
The act of moving house is arguably one of the biggest moments in your life. Along with marriage and having children, it’s right up there in terms of its importance.Many of us will move to a bigger home. A new addition to the family, the need for extra space or just the desire to have a bigger place to enjoy.
Whatever your reason, moving house, to a smaller property, is an option that will help you save money. Not only will it cut your everyday living costs but will free up some extra cash to put away for when you finally call it a working day.
3 Big savings when moving house and downsizing Continue reading
Picture the scene. Another lock successfully negotiated and a gentle wave beneath the boat as you meander your way through the countryside.
The sun continues to shine on the hull of your narrow boat and your decision to swap the only life you knew, for 12 months on the water, appears to have been the right one. Some folk will extend that year on the water into a lifetime.
They will sell their property, buy a canal boat and enjoy the calm and tranquility of Britain’s waterways for the rest of their lives. What could be better? It all sounds quite simple and idyllic, doesnt it? It is. No garden maintenance or domestic decorating and no worries over fluctuating mortgage rates. It’s a chance to get rid of the second car too! Continue reading